Planning a trip, whether it is for business or pleasure, can be a challenging task. If you finished with booking your flight and hotel, you have one more decision left: airport transfer. It’s a time sensitive issue which involves coordinating your flight timetable with your airport transfer service provider. It may bring you a lot of headaches, but with proper planning and choosing the right airport transfer type and provider, you may reduce that stress to a minimum.
There are a lot of service providers out there you can easily search on the web, which can provide you airport transfer to and from any airport in the world, whether you’re flying from Gatwick in London to Charles de Gaulle in Paris, or from Fiumicino in Rome to any other destination. You will find different rates from various providers and the total cost will mainly depend on whether you choose to use private or shared airport transfer service. Both transfer types have its own advantages and disadvantages, so your decision will be based on your destination, time sensitivity of the airport transfer and your budget.
In this article, we will try to help you make a decision by outlining the main characteristics, as well as advantages and disadvantages of the private and shared airport transfer.
Shared airport transfer
Shared airport transfer or shuttle transfer is a more cost-effective way of transport from and to the airport. It involves a predefined timetable with multiple stops. If you’re travelling alone and you’re looking to save money, this is a good option to consider. However, you will need to check if your accommodation is close to one of the stops, otherwise, you will need additional transport to your final destination point and this can be tricky especially if you’re in a city for the first time.
• Lower cost if you’re travelling alone – The cost is per passenger and basically the total cost for the airport transfer is split, so if you’re a sole traveller it is more cost effective.
• Meeting new people – You’ll be sharing your airport transfer with people from different parts of the world, so it may be a fun way to make new friends on your way to your destination.
• Limited time flexibility – The shared transfer provider has a timetable and this means that sometimes there may be a time gap between landing and getting to your final destination. The total time exceeds considerably the private transfer’s one.
• Fixed points – The shuttle makes stops at predefined locations and you may need to check if you need additional transport to your destination point. This may add additional cost, so it’s important to check the map and plan it wisely.
• Longer time to get to your destination – As we mentioned, the shared airport transfer involves multiple stops, so it may take longer time. Make sure to take this into consideration when making your own timetable for your activities.
Private airport transfer
Private airport transfer is a more personal way of transportation and tailored to your needs. You need to make arrangements in advance, online booking, and you will get a “door-to-door” service. Depending on how many people you travel with, you can book standard sedan cars and minivans, or a bus if you’re a larger group. Although you bear the total cost for the airport transfer, sometimes the price may not differ significantly compared to the shared airport transfer, so it’s good to make a cost-benefit analysis before making a decision.
• There is no timetable – You choose the booking time according to your departure/arrival and the airport transfer provider tracks the flight, so in the case of a delay, they will adjust the transfer. This eases time-management planning and eases the stress in case of unplanned events.
• Only one stop: your destination – No stops, no pickups of other passengers, it’s only you from the pickup point you choose to your destination. You can just relax and enjoy your ride.
• The transfer time is considerably shorter – It’s a door-to-door service, so the transfer time compared to the shared airport transfer makes a difference. If your trip is time-sensitive or you don’t like waiting, then this is your better option.
• More cost effective than shared transfer when there are several passengers – Depending on the number of people you’re travelling together, when you make the calculation per head, it may turn out to be more cost effective than the shared airport transfer. This way you can enjoy the benefits and comfort of the private airport transfer and still save money.
• Enjoyable experience with your driver – The taxi drivers know the city well and can provide with useful tips how to get around the city and recommend interesting local places to visit. We started a series of blog posts “Local taxi driver’s guide”, so follow us here on the blog for more updates on undiscovered places to visit in different cities.
• The cost is borne by fewer passengers – The cost varies on the number of passengers using the private airport transfer and you need to calculate it and decide if it fits your budget.